Saturday, December 7, 2013

HAWAII'S NICE THIS TIME OF YEAR!!

       My mom just realized that it was hospice at the house today!! She's been ranting and raving for the last hour and of course I'm the only sibling within earshot!! The three of us kids decided it would help her and I. After a recent ER visit, I decided to act and quickly.

        My mom has a pacemaker imbedded in her chest, where else right?! Anyway, she had enough of being shocked by the defibulator, which more than frightened her, she opted to turn it off. Well the docs weren't happy with the decision but it's what she wanted and she knows the consequences of her actions. Death. (She has congestive heart failure) So, on this last ER visit, she wasn't treated very well at all. She went for an issue unrelated to her heart and she was not taken seriously, I feel, because of her actions concerning her pacemaker. They treated her like a third class citizen because she chose possible death over life. Instead of an attending doc she was pushed off onto a medical student. Pissed me off to no end. So I looked into and learned that hospice doesn't equal death, but quality of life, at least here in Arizona. One can go on and off hospice as needed, as long as certain criteria are met. Everything is supplied, 24/7 nursing, delivery of meds and in home doctor visits just to name a few perks. And I can take a needed break, to address my own physical needs.

          When my sis and I explained that it wasn't a death type deal, she relaxed. (A least she won't need to run off to Hawaii, away from us kids, like she threatened). She can stay here and get as strong as possible, before running off to somewhere. We're happy for that and when she hopefully gets stronger, my sis will take her to the beach for a long walk.

No comments: